Tuesday, October 12, 2004

"Greater love has no man...."

The Bible says that giving your life for another is the greatest love. But what does God mean when he says give your life for another?

John 15: 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved
you.13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

John 15: 12This is My commandment: that you love one another [just] as I have loved you.13No one has greater love [no one has shown stronger affection] than to lay down (give up) his own life for his friends.

The Bible says that giving your life for another is the greatest love. But my question for you this evening is this: What does giving or laying down your life actually consist of?
On dictionary.com i found many definitons of life, but this one made the most sense:
Human existence, relationships, or activity in general: real life; everyday life.

So to give that up.. what exactly does that mean? I ask this question randomly because i just watched the movie Saved! Yes, 'tis a very contreversial movie, but my point is this. She gave up her virginity to try and turn her bf, whom happened to think he was gay, back to straight. Is that a way of giving your life for another? Or, many a times i find myself worrying more about my friends salvation than my own condition with God. I find myself devoting all my time and energies into trying to save them that i find myself slipping. Is that a form of giving your life for another? what exactly does that mean, to GIVE YOUR LIFE. When it says "your life" what does it mean?

Obviously we can see through Christ's ultimate form of love on the cross, that your literal life, your very heartbeat sacrificed for someone else is nothing but love. Is that the only form of giving your life? Where is the definition at? When i asked a friend, he said that marriage was a form of giving your life. So if you give your life to your wife, is that the greatest love? I don't think so personally... but i would like some thoughts. Because in the movie, the girl thought that giving her virginity to this guy in hopes of turning him straight was God's plan for her. That God wanted that. Would God ask someone to go against his own rules for the greater good? And in her case, was that the greatest love? The bible tells us that homosexuality is a sin, and she was trying to save him from a life of sin by giving it all up. Is that not giving everything up for someone else? If you step in front of a loaded gun pointed at your friend and tell the shooter to take u instead, you are giving it all up. Are you doing the same if you take the steps she took? or if you worry more about the salvation of others than your own walk with christ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fuck
your too heavy for a 17 year old guy
get a life
god doesn't exist
take drugs abd get into a bit of sex

get a life