Sunday, November 21, 2004

Losing Childhood

Don't let your kids get a job. Ive come to realize while the money is nice, it takes away from other things they would otherwise have. It takes away from extracirricular activities, daily energy, friend time, family time, and is a distraction from the world they used to know. Dont get me wrong, I'm not going to quit my job or anything.. I'm just saying that I personally am missing out on alot because of my job. Example: I work 2-10 today. I wanted to go to the Gun Show in Dayton with my parents, but I can't, because they wouldnt have been back by 2. Another example is Thanksgiving break from school. I am off wed.- Sun. and right now, i work wed, fri, and sat, and more than likely sunday too. I will get ONE of my FIVE days off off. So I will miss out on things i wouldnt have if i was jobless. This happens all the time, and so many of my friends can't do things cause they have to work. The money is nice... but is it worth it?

2 comments:

Axinar said...

Everything in life is a trade. Generally speaking, missing a gun show in exchange for avoiding POVERTY is a pretty fair trade.

Of course everything is a balance -- you have to have something to live FOR of course, but don't ever let a time develop when there aren't at least SEVERAL people who can vouch for your reputation as a good worker.

Yes, it's a crying shame we're not yet in the 23rd century where we can all devote ourselves to a life of intellectual pursuit, but, for right now, for some reason the only thing of much economic value is clocking in.

Mariasha said...

I dont work yet, im enjoying the great joys of educational maintenace allowance. Go to school and get paid for it.

In the end though you miss out on a lot by not working to, well depending upon where you work. If you are with decent people and get paid enough then its all pretty great.

The only way out of the dilemma is to be a bum or a hobo or whatever.