Monday, September 27, 2004

Jesus Wept?

I am a "Thumper" as Axinar so colorfully put it, and as i am a christian, i read the bible. While watching Barbershop 2, Ice Cube mentions John 11:35- "Jesus Wept." I have wondered for a long time WHY he wept.

So jesus wept... and i have asked WHY. Here is some of the many things that ive gotten:

Columbus Pastor Ray Harper: KENNY, JESUS WEPT BECAUSE HE SAW THE EMOTIONS OF THE OTHERS AND REALIZED HOW MUCH THEY LOVED LAZARUS. IT WAS ALSO TO SHOW HIS GRIEF FOR A FALLEN WORLD WHICH CAUSES SUCH UNNECESSARY SORROW AND DEATH BECAUSE OF SIN. AFTER ALL, HE WAS A MAN OF SORROWS AND ACQUAINTED WITH GRIEF. (JOHN 3:16 AND ISAIAH 53:3) I HOPE THIS HELPS GIVE YOU SOME DIRECTION. PAST0R RAY

My Mamaw: I'm not sure anyone knows the answer for certain. Ihave often heard it said that He wept because He was saddened by the unbelief of the people. He certainlydid not weep because of Lazarus' death because He knewHe would call him forth.

Alana: I dont know

aaronporter : That's a good question my friend. Why did Jesus weep? Well, that passage is found in John 11:35, but in order to figure out exactly what is being said you must read that whole chapter. It will help to bring clarity to your question. But I'll tell you what I think and what I have come to learn through a lot of studying and praying. Lazarus and his two sisters Martha and Mary are regularly mentioned in the gospels which leads us to believe they were close friends of Jesus. Now Lazarus has died. Of course Jesus is sad, his best friend just went through a great deal of suffering. Jesus knew his pain. Jesus knows everyone's pain. Don't you get sad when a friend or a loved one is hurting? But I don't believe that is the whole reason that "Jesus Wept." The big reason, I believe, that Jesus felt sorrow at this moment in his life is because of the unbelief of the people. Jesus had already performed several miracles and proved his claims as God's son over and over again. Yet, the people wanted to put the blame of Lazarus death on him, and they refused to believe that Christ had the power to save Lazarus. Jesus Wept because of the people's unbelief. Today I still think Jesus weeps. John Piper is quoted for praying, "God, help my unbelief." He's one of the most well known preachers and teachers of the bible; and yet, in some areas he finds unbelief, and he needs God's help to overcome it. Do you ever feel unbelief? of course you do. We all do. But Jesus wants you to overcome that, just like he wanted the people around Lazarus tomb that day to overcome their unbelief. And because he wanted them to overcome this unbelief he rose Lazarus from the dead. This story is still lived out today. Spiritually we are born dead, but to help our unbelief God sends his Holy Spirit to live in us and make us alive in Him when we trust Him with our lives.

This is all I have so far. Any ideas?

No comments: